Felted Wool Rabbits, from my Sheep’s wool.
A fundraiser for the Patuxent Tidewater Land Trust (PTLT) $100 for an original (no two are alike) felted wool rabbit, with custom knit jacket.
Allow 4 weeks for custom made sculpture. (Currently a waiting list for rabbit orders, due to popular demand!)$100.00, $7.50 S&H
“The Sunflower Squirrel” NOW AVAILABLE!!!
Written by Laara C Oakes,
Illustrated by Christina Allen
$18.00, plus $2.50 S&H
After a long and cold winter, Mrs. Squirrel overhears her friends talk about how hard they had to search for food to survive. Mrs. Squirrel has a plan. She enlists the help of her friends, Mouse, Blue Jay, and Cardinal. “If you’ll help me . . . I promise you’ll be rewarded. . .” But will these four friends succeed in carrying out that plan before the coming winter . . .
Filled with warmth and generosity, The Sunflower Squirrel is a beautifully illustrated and charming story about friendship, teamwork and trust.
The Sunflower Squirrel will be available SEPTEMBER 2018 for purchase.$18.00, 8 1/2″ X 11″ hardcover, 32 fully illustrated color pages
Hoopstyle Aviary for the turkeys!
I finished making the 24′ X 40′ aviary for the 3 turkeys who have returned to the farm. What good girls. And the tom is a lovely sociable turkey too.
The New Greenhouse is done!
This hoop style large greenhouse is for year-round greens for our consumption. It is a strong, well-built, greenhouse. I like the low profile and functionality of it. It took longer than expected, because of the chemo. But I did get it done this summer despite going through chemotherapy. That’s something I guess.
Part of a large mosaic at the Back Porch Store at the Homestead, done by Christina in winter of 2013-14
A Year in Bloom!
I’m doing a presentation for organizations, health groups, and garden clubs! It’s called “A Year in Bloom”. It chronicles 2017 for me: Our mature ornamental gardens (during my discovery of and survival through the 7 months of intense cancer treatments.)
Over 20 years have passed since we have made this farm our home. It had overgrazed, compacted, and depleted soil. Frank has been a plant collector for over 60 years now. Our ten acre farm proved a good amount of space to indulge in our passion for growing things. I am most fond of the kitchen garden, greenhouses, and starting seeds. Frank loves nearly all plants. They say it takes 10 years to make a good garden. I looked around last year and saw that our garden was a “mature garden” now. I started a documentary, with photos, of ALL the plants, trees, and shrubs that bloomed in our gardens for one whole year. This is the result. HUNDREDS of gorgeous photos! It will be a lush, fast moving show with lots and lots of gorgeous photos.
The Grand Chicken Coop is finally done and the chickens have moved in! (Old coops are down-cycled) Here is the new coop:
It took me about 9 months to build this. As you can see, it has 6 outside nest boxes, a covered run, and an uncovered run. It has automatic doors that are daylight sensitive. And the floor of the coop is tiled, for easy clean-out.
“The Dinner Movie” DVD, with included 16 page color cookbook $20.00 plus $2.25 S&H
THE BACK PORCH STORE
Products for Sale include
- Award winning children’s books:
- “Chip” books “A Micro-Chip On My Shoulder-A True Story of a Little Poult” $10.00 softcover, $18.00 hardcover
- “Momma Tree”, written by Charles Long, Illustrated by Christina Allen
- “The Farmer’s Alphabet”, written by Charles Long, Illustrated by Christina Allen
- “The Sunflower Squirrel”, written by Laara C Oakes, Illustrated by Christina Allen
- Natural colored hand-spun yarn – $6.50 per skein
- Sock yarn, hand-spun (1250 yd/lb) – $9.50 per skein
- Solar dyed yarn – $8.50 per skein
- Wool roving – $15 per pound
Handknit fingerless gloves from my hand-dyed wool (from my sheep’s wool). Custom knit. Choose one skein from around 200 individual dyed color ways. Measure hand. Allow 4-8 weeks for delivery. $40.00/pair plus tax and S&H
- Handmade unscented soap (from Christina’s sheep tallow), made with solar energy – $3.00 per bar
- Soaps wrapped in a hand-knit cotton washcloth (or dishcloth), tied as a gift-wrap – $7.50 each
- Queen-sized wool blankets from Christina’s sheep’s wool (assorted colors and natural colors, limited availability) – $225
- Lap throws from Christina’s sheep’s wool (limited availability) – $125
- “Christina’s Most Excellent Salad Blend” is a boxed, washed blend of up to 40 salad greens, all grown without any herbicides or pesticides of any kind. (Seasonal) – $3.50 per box
- Heritage poultry free range eggs, (available only at the “Porch Store” on the farm – $5 per dozen
- Sheep skins, assorted natural colors (limited availability) – $125
- Also available: note cards, handmade paper, knitted items, etc. – varies with season